Use current location
Way back in April 1921, a group of tire dealers met at the old Automobile Club of America on West 54th Street and founded our association pledged, "To do business on the square." J.R. Benedict of the Hewitt Rubber Company, a tire manufacturer, called the initial meeting. Jerome T. Shaw of Tires magazine assisted in arranging the first meeting. In 1934, the association held its largest meetings and took an outstanding part in problems as they related to the independent tire dealer. It was at this time the name was changed to Greater New York Tire & Battery Association. In June 1937, the association entered into a contract with Charles F. Root under which Mr. Root assumed the general management of the organization.
For many years, no apparent need for a local organization seemed to exist and the only function held was the annual dinner dance. In 1969, Bert Schwarz asked Fred Dresdale, a past president of the National Tire Dealers and Retreaders Association and a member of our local organization, to take the presidency. Under Fred's guidance, along with the help of men like Al Hansel, Dan Chiswick, Harry Jaffess, Steve German, Frank L. Cohen and Herb King, the organization was revitalized. The name was changed again to the Greater New York Tire Dealers and Retreaders Association. In 1989, the Officers and Board of Directors enacted a new set of by-laws to encompass the entire state of New York. Hence, the new name of the organization, the New York Tire Dealers Association. So if you need tires in New York, check out some of our members today!
Phone: (631) 789-9505
Address: 258 Broadway
Amityville, NY 11701